Throughout history, just about every culture has employed crystals in healing practices. Many of us today use essential oils to stay above the wellness line so it only makes sense that we pair them together.
This Blog will be your beginner’s guide to all things crystals and oils. You’ll learn a little history behind why they’re used, how to use and care for them, specific properties, and some suggested essential oils to pair with them.
For centuries, civilizations have valued crystals for their beauty as well as for the special vibrational energies within each stone. While there is no scientific data to support the use of crystals for healing, ancient cultures used them to facilitate healing for the body, mind, and spirit.
Societies throughout history, including ancient Mesopotamia, Egypt, China, and Greece, used crystals for their healing properties. This practice continued through the ages, although it lessened during the Renaissance, when people believed the healing properties of crystals came from either good or bad angels.
The use of crystals for healing reemerged in the 1980s and continues to gain popularity as an energetic healing modality. In a modern age of science, however, it may be difficult to understand how a stone can bring about any type of healing. The answer can be found in the vibrational energies found within crystals and how they affect the energy fields all around them, including the human energy field.
So cool right? I just love history!
All About The Frequency
Have you ever experienced a time when you did not “vibe” well with someone or you have gotten a “bad feeling” about someone? When this happens, you are sensing energy and recognizing that someone else’s energetic vibration isn’t compatible with your own. You don’t have to be an energy expert to experience this. It happens to all of us. WHY? Because every cell in your body has the vibration of life whether you are aware of it or not. Our vibrational energy is constantly changing based on our moods, behaviors, and even our surroundings.
This is why when you hang out with angry people they bring you down and happy people lift you up! Anger has a vibrational energy of 150 Hz where as Joy has a vibrational energy of 540 Hz. That’s crazy!!
If science is your jam, you can google the quantum physics of it all. If you don’t have time for that, know that at its most basic level, all matter is made up of vibrating strings of electricity that can be measured as a frequency. When your cells are not healthy they slow down and have a lower frequency. When your cells ARE healthy they have a higher frequency.
Crystals vibrate at different frequencies depending on their matter, size, thickness, and color (light frequency). Essential oils also vibrate at different frequencies. We can take advantage of the vibrations from essential oils and crystals to bring our OWN frequencies up or down and rebalance our body.
So let’s dive in to see how you can use crystals and oils for your own benefit!
How To Use Crystals
Ok, so it’s gonna get a little ‘woo woo’ sounding here but just go with it. It’s important to activate, charge, cleanse, and ground your crystals to receive the most benefits they can offer.
Your crystals will collect energy over time so it is important to cleanse them to put them back in a neutral state.
Choose any of the options below to cleanse your crystals. Cleanse minimally every full moon, more often if you use them in your hands or pockets daily.
- Use water to cleanse
If it’s raining, or you’re near a natural water source, this is perfect. Let your crystals be rinsed with water. If not, add a small palm full of pink salt or epsom salt to a bowl of water and let your crystals soak in the water for a few hours. (Do NOT wash Desert Rose or Selenite in water as they will dissolve! Research any other stones to verify if they should be submerged in water or not.)
- Use other stones to cleanse
Place your crystals on or next to Selenite overnight to cleanse them.
- Use essential oils to cleanse
Diffuse Palo Santo or Sage around your crystals to help cleanse them or you can spray them with essential oils to cleanse and “feed” them. Add 20 drops of Cedarwood essential oil to a 2 oz bottle of water to cleanse and feed your crystals.
Activation and Charging
Once cleansed you can activate and charge your crystals to get the most out of their energies. It’s also helpful to change the intention of using the crystal. Like essential oils, one crystal can have many uses.
Place the crystal you wish to activate into your hand and set an intention for using this. Close your eyes as you breathe deeply and think about energy and white light from the universe surrounding your crystal to set the intention.
Grounding and Recharging
- Lay your crystals on the earth or natural surface for about 4 hours.
- Place them in direct sunlight. Be sure not to leave them in the sun for more than 4 hours.
- Place your crystals in direct moonlight during a full moon.
- If you can’t put them outside, place them in a windowsill and let them soak up the morning sun and then remove them from direct sunlight.
To use your crystals , simply carry them with you, place them beside you, lay them around your home, in your car, make little baggies with velvet or organza pouches to keep in your purse/pocket/backpack, put in your pillowcase, next to the bed… really anywhere!
Who knew you were getting another pet/child to care for when getting your crystals?
Oils and Crystals Pairing
Before we dive into specific crystals and essential oils that can be paired together, I want to introduce a few fun ways to use your oils and crystals together effortlessly.
Whimsy and Wellness offers a large collection of crystals for roll-on bottles. Some crystals are available to place inside the bottle and others are available as the actual ball that rolls the oils onto your skin. Either way, your essential oils are in contact with the crystals before it is applied to your skin which provides that extra umph.
Put On Love Designs offers crystal diffuser jewelry so you can use both oils AND crystals while looking and feeling beautiful. Apply a drop of essential oil to the leather pad that rests on the back of your neck and enjoy the benefits of the beautiful crystals.
While you’re stocking up on beautiful pieces, grab yourself a cute bag from Modern Makerie to store your oils and crystals in. They’re practical, yet adorable!
A variety of Quartz – Purple
Amethyst is a powerful protective stone. Its energy acts as a natural tranquilizer and is used to balance moods and relieve stress and irritability.
Oils that pair well with Amethyst…
- Frankincense – Its ability to provide a sense of grounding pairs well with the soothing nature of Amethyst.
- Clove – Its ability to create feelings of protection are perfect when using Amethyst for its protective energies. Clove and Amethyst also have the ability to calm and stimulate your mind, as well as stimulate your memory and motivation.
- Cypress – Its ability to help ease the feelings of loss pair well with Amethyst’s ability to alleviate sadness and grief, as well as dissolve negativity.
A variety of Quartz – Shades of white, yellow, and orange
Citrine energizes every level of life. It is known to…
- attract wealth, prosperity and success
- bring out joy, wonder, delight, and enthusiasm
- raise self-esteem and self-confidence
- stimulate the brain & strengthen the intellect
- promote motivation, activate creativity, & encourage self-expression
- enhance concentration and revitalize the mind
- balance emotions
Oils that pair well with Citrine…
- Orange – Its ability to promote peace and bring happiness to the mind/body and joy to the heart pair perfectly with Citrine’s ability to promote happiness and pleasure.
- Clove – Its ability to create feelings of protection make it a natural pairing with Citrine which is often used for protection and strength.
- Ginger – Its ability to influence physical energy, sex, love, money, and courage makes it a great option to use with Citrine to attract pleasure, confidence, and self-expression along with wealth, prosperity and success.
- Patchouli – Its influence on sexual and physical energy makes this another oil that pairs perfectly with Citrine.
A variety of quartz – Pink
Rose Quartz is the stone of universal love and is known to…
- restore trust and harmony in relationships
- encourage unconditional love, self-forgiveness, and acceptance invoking self trust and self worth
- help comfort in times of grief
- dispel negativity and protect against environmental pollution, replacing it with loving vibes
If you have “heart stuff” this one is for you. =)
Oils that pair well with Rose Quartz…
- Ylang Ylang – Its ability to bring back feelings of self-love, confidence, and joy along with its ability to influence sexual energy and enhance relationships make it a natural fit for Rose Quartz.
- Lavender – Its aromatic influence of health, love, and peace pair perfectly with Rose Quartz.
- Jasmine – Its ability to promote powerful and inspirational relationships makes it a perfect pair for Rose Quartz.
- Rose – With its ability to create a sense of well-being and a fragrance that is almost intoxicating and aphrodisiac-like Rose essential oil makes a great pairing for Rose Quartz, which is known to deepen partners’ love and romance.
- Bergamot – Its use for opening up the heart Chakra and radiating love and energy makes it an obvious choice to pair with Rose Quartz.
A variety of Chalcedony – Dark in nature with shades of brown
Known as “The Shapeshifter,” this stone of courage, motivation, and protection will help you be successful at everything you do. It is known for…
- bringing good luck to the wearer
- promoting mental clarity
- assisting one to resolve problems
- helping to eliminate fear and anxiety
- balancing yin-yang
- energizing the emotional body
- stabilizing mood swings
- promoting willpower, purpose, and courage
- releasing tension
Oils that pair well with Tiger’s Eye…
- Fennel – Its ability to influence and increase longevity and courage make it a natural complement to the energies of Tiger’s Eye.
- Ginger – Its ability to influence money and courage pairs well with Tiger’s Eye’s ability to bring good luck and inspire courage.
- Bergamot – Its ability to relieve occasional tension makes this a great option when using Tiger’s Eye for eliminating fear and occasional anxiety.
- Orange – Its ability to stimulate energy and joy pair well with Tiger’s Eye.
Blue Lace Agate
A banded Agate variety of Chalcedony and mineral of the Quartz family – Light blue, striped with brighter blues, whites, and even brown threads of color
The Blue Lace Agate variety is a very cooling and calming stone, giving us a sense of peace and tranquility. A powerful throat healer, it assists with verbal expression of thoughts and feelings so you are able to speak your truth. Blue Lace Agate is a great nurturing and supportive stone, neutralizing anger and melting away any fear and anxiety.
Oils that pair well with Blue Lace Agate…
- Northern Lights Black Spruce – Its ability to help release emotional blocks and bring feelings of balance and grounding makes it the perfect oil to pair with Blue Lace Agate.
- Vetiver – This oil is known as the “oil of tranquility” in India and is very grounding and stabilizing. It’s used to create an uplifting, focused environment so it would be a perfect pairing for Blue Lace Agate.
- Basil – This oil facilitates the ability to ground an overactive mind and focus on the present moment. Therefore, pairing it with Blue Lace Agate could be very beneficial.
- Spearmint – This oil complements the energy of Blue Lace Agate as both are used to encourage gentle, loving communication. When charging your Blue Lace Agate consider using Spearmint to “feed” it.
- Lavender – Its ability to calm, relax, and balance both physical and emotional energies makes this oil a great complement to Blue Lace Agate.
Thank you so much for taking the time to learn with me. I hope that you have found this information useful as you continue to learn more about the amazing properties of crystals and experiment with the different oil pairings.