How Do You Use Oils Topically?
Applying essential oils on your skin is convenient, practical, effective, and a great way to experience some of their many benefits! You can enhance your massage, apply to fatigued areas after exercise, smooth the appearance of wrinkles, support healthy-looking skin, and so much more! Try applying oils to your feet, adding them to a foot bath or massage oil, or adding them to your beauty products.
Here are a few examples of how you can use your essential oils topically that are found in your Starter Bundle:
• Face: Oils are amazing for enhancing your beauty routine. Frankincense and Lavender can help reduce the appearance of blemishes and fine lines for a more radiant glow!
• Forehead, neck, base of skull, and temples: Use oils like Peppermint and PanAway for a cooling sensation on targeted areas. It will help with head and muscle discomfort.
• Abdomen: Try applying oils like DiGize and Peppermint over your stomach before and after meals. It will help with all your digestive system
• Wrists and chest: Apply your favorite scent as a natural perfume without all the harsh chemicals. Stress Away and Peace and Calming are some of our favorite relaxing scents.
• Chest: Raven is great to help freshen the airways. Mix with a carrier oil and apply to the chest! Supports your respiratory system
• Hair: You can support the appearance of healthy-looking hair with Lavender and Frankincense.
• Bottoms of feet: The bottoms of the feet are a good place to apply oils because the skin on your feet is not as sensitive as other areas. Massaging your feet can also stimulate nerve endings, which can be very beneficial for your entire body. Try applying Valor or Lavender as you try to unwind after a long day.
A Few Safety Guidelines
• We do not recommend using essential oils in your eyes, ear canals, and other sensitive areas.
• Remember to dilute your essential oil with a carrier oil, especially if you are new to essential oils. Carrier oils will ensure that the essential oil applied is comfortable on the skin. These are fat soluble oils like Young Living’s V-6 TM Vegetable Oil Complex, coconut oil, avocado oil, or jojoba oil. Diluting does not dilute the power or effect of the essential oil. Look for specific dilution ratios on Young Living essential oil bottles. Once you are familiar with how your body reacts to essential oils, you can try applying gentle oils like Frankincense and Lavender directly on your skin without a carrier oil.
• Stop using the oil if irritation or discomfort on the skin occurs, and do not rinse with water. Apply a carrier oil to the affected area. Oils are hydrophobic which means on a molecular level they repel from water molecules. So if you decide you no longer want an oil on your skin, washing it off with water will not work. Use a carrier oil to rinse and dilute essential oils.
• Citrus-based oils and blends may cause temporary photosensitivity. This means they will make your skin more sensitive to the sun. Follow individual label instructions and avoid direct sunlight for 12 hours. We recommend applying citrus oils on skin that will not be exposed to direct light.
The skin is the body’s largest organ and it acts similar to a sponge–everything we apply topically gets absorbed into the body. This is just one of the reasons we should be using quality, plant-based products for our skin and in our personal care products.